Saturday, March 15, 2014

Anna Marie Abegael B. Loma
BSED 2N
Savannah in the Sunset by Teddy Kimathi




                        Why “Savannah in the Sunset?” Personally, I chose this poem as my literary piece for Afro-Asian Literature because of its title, specifically, the word savannah. Since I was a child, I’ve been with this word already. I even use it as a character’s name in one of my short stories collection which I used to write during my leisure time when I was in grade school. I also used that word as my Barbie doll’s name. I don’t know what’s with the word savannah that I even decided, this early, to give it as a name of my first baby, (if it happens to be a girl) SOMEDAY. Anyway, let’s get enough for this. Let’s now explore and discover the beauty behind the poem.
                        Peaceful. Calm. Mind-refreshing.  That’s where the bushes and trees lay, a place where other animals say “HI”. It is in savannah. Yes, the beautiful savannah. And when the sun and the moon bid goodbye, here comes Mr. Sunset. Yes, the romantic sunset.
                        Savannah is scattered in Africa. This is a place where many animals meet and even the clouds and the sun. And as they are together for the rest of the day, the beauty and value of the day comes out. Now, I want you to imagine Africa. What can you see? Poverty? Crimes? Discrimination? But no. Try to look at on its positive side. Look how their nature causes peace of mind. Look how the birds sing, how the animals enjoy under the sun as they roll over the grassland. And look how the sun sets with its rays being reflected within the savannah. Savannah is now the place where peace and calmness embrace each other during sunset. It is a place where as described by Teddy Kimathi, the author, he discovered the beautiful art of God. An art like no other.

                        The poem simply tells us that even in the darkest place where different kinds of human abuse invariably happens, there is still this one place where you can be at peace without getting dead. There it is. Safe. Extraordinary. Splendid. That is Savannah in the Sunset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment